Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Obtaining Supplemental Health Insurance and other Health Insurance topics.
What doesn't Medicare pay for?
Some of the health care services not covered by Medicare include anything not considered medically reasonable and necessary, based on a subjective interpretation! Other items that are not covered by Medicare are:
- Long-term nursing home stays
- Custodial care in a nursing home
- Private duty home care nurses
- Homemaker services
- Routine dental services and dentures
- Routine physicals
- Prescription medications
- Preventive care
- Vision exams and eyeglasses
- Hearing tests and hearing aids
- Routine foot care
- Physician charges above Medicare's approved amount
- Any care received outside the U.S.
As you can see, many of the services not covered by Medicare are the very types of services those individual's who qualify for Medicare are likely to need.